Since 2015, Population Europe has organised the selection procedure for the European Demographer Award (formerly the Allianz European Demographer Award), which supports outstanding research on the causes and consequences of demographic change in Europe. The research should be at the frontier of anthropological, biological, economic, historical, mathematical, political, sociological or statistical population studies, achieved by researchers in the early stage of their careers or those at a more advanced stage.
The evaluation committee is composed of eminent demographers from all over Europe, simultaneously representing different fields of research. The members who served on the various 2015-2020 committees are listed here.
You can find most recent calls for nominations here.
The prize will be given to candidates within two prize groups:
- A promising and upcoming researcher, who has obtained his or her Ph.D. within the period of 2015-2020;
- A more experienced researcher, who has obtained his or her Ph.D. within the period of 2005-2010.
The award presentation usually takes place during the opening ceremony of the Berlin Demography Forum.
The winners of the 2021 European Demographer Awards are
- José Manuel Aburto, Newton International Fellow at the Department of Sociology and Leverhulme Centre for Demographic Science and Fellow at Nuffield College, University of Oxford; Assistant Professor (on leave) at the Interdisciplinary Centre on Population Dynamics, University of Southern Denmark (European Demographer Award for a promising and upcoming researcher, who has obtained his or her Ph.D. within the period of 2015-2020),
Carlo Giovanni Camarda, Research Scientist and Head of the research unit UR 05: Mortalité, Santé, Épidémiologie at the Institut National d’Études Démographiques, Paris, France (European Demographer Award for a more experienced researcher, who has obtained his or her Ph.D. within the period of 2005-2010).
Read more about the winners here.
Former award winners are:
- Iñaki Permanyer (2020), Researcher, Center for Demographic Studies (CED) Barcelona
- Alice Goisis (2020), Associate Professor in Demography at the Centre for Longitudinal Studies, University College London
- Bruno Arpino (2019), Associate Professor, Department of Statistics, Computer Science, Applications, University of Florence
- Ridhi Kashyap (2019), Associate Professor of Social Demography, Department of Sociology, Nuffield College, University of Oxford
- Kieron Barclay (2018), Deputy Head Laboratory of Population Health, Max Planck Institute for Demographic Research, Rostock
- Fanny Janssen (2018), Associate Professor, Faculty of Spatial Sciences, University of Groningen
- Tomáš Sobotka (2017), Research Group Leader on Comparative European Demography, Wittgenstein Centre for Demography and Global Human Capital, Vienna University
- Felix C. Tropf (2017), Assistant Professor in Social Science Genetics, CREST/ENSAE / Associate member, Department of Sociology, University of Oxford and Nuffield College
- Helga A. G. de Valk (2016), Theme Leader Migration & Migrants, Netherlands Interdisciplinary Demographic Institute, Den Haag
- Jakub Bijak (2015), Joint Head of the Department of Social Statistics and Demography Professor of Statistical Demography, University of Southampton
The award is generously granted in collaboration with the Stifterverband and has been kindly supported by Allianz from 2015 to 2019.