European Demographer Award
Since 2015, Population Europe has been organising the selection procedure for the European Demographer Award (formerly the Allianz European Demographer Award), which supports outstanding research on the causes and consequences of demographic change in Europe. The research should be at the frontier of anthropological, biological, economic, historical, mathematical, political, sociological or statistical population studies, achieved by researchers in the early stage of their careers or those at a more advanced stage.
The evaluation committee is composed of eminent demographers from all over Europe, simultaneously representing different fields of research. The members who served on the 2015-2020 committees are listed here. The committee is chaired by Prof. Jane C. Falkingham, ESRC Centre for Population Change, University of Southampton, and Helga A.G. de Valk, Theme leader, Netherlands Interdisciplinary Demographic Institute, The Hague.
The call for nominations has been announced on 4 May 2020 with a deadline of 15 June 2020. The call be found here.
The prize will be given to candidates within two prize groups:
- A promising and upcoming researcher, who has obtained his or her Ph.D. within the period of 2015-2020;
- A more experienced researcher, who has obtained his or her Ph.D. within the period of 2005-2010.
The award presentation usually takes place during the opening ceremony of the Berlin Demography Forum. Former award winners are:
- Iñaki Permanyer (2020), Researcher, Center for Demographic Studies (CED) Barcelona
- Alice Goisis (2020), Associate Professor in Demography at the Centre for Longitudinal Studies, University College London
- Bruno Arpino (2019), Associate Professor, Department of Statistics, Computer Science, Applications, University of Florence
- Ridhi Kashyap (2019), Associate Professor of Social Demography, Department of Sociology, Nuffield College, University of Oxford
- Kieron Barclay (2018), Deputy Head Laboratory of Population Health, Max Planck Institute for Demographic Research, Rostock
- Fanny Janssen (2018), Associate Professor, Faculty of Spatial Sciences, University of Groningen
- Tomáš Sobotka (2017), Research Group Leader on Comparative European Demography, Wittgenstein Centre for Demography and Global Human Capital, Vienna University
- Felix C. Tropf (2017), Assistant Professor in Social Science Genetics, CREST/ENSAE / Associate member, Department of Sociology, University of Oxford and Nuffield College
- Helga A. G. de Valk (2016), Theme Leader Migration & Migrants, Netherlands Interdisciplinary Demographic Institute, Den Haag
- Jakub Bijak (2015), Joint Head of the Department of Social Statistics and Demography Professor of Statistical Demography, University of Southampton