We are seeking to fill a position of the Research Assistant (full-time, fixed-term, research employee) within the ERC Consolidator Grant “Globalization- and Technology-Driven Labour Market Change and Fertility” (PI: Anna Matysiak) which is conducted at the Interdisciplinary Centre of Labour Market and Family Dynamics (LABFAM) at the University of Warsaw.
The ERC Consolidator Grant „Globalisation- and Technology-Driven Labour Market Change and Fertility” aims at investigating fertility consequences of the unprecedented changes which have been taking place in the labour markets over the last two to three decades. These changes are largely driven by globalisation and technological change and are manifested in the rising demand for skills, massive displacement of workers due to automation, spread of new, more flexible but also more fragmented work arrangements (such as telework, on-call work, sub-contracting, crowdworking), increasing work demands and growing inequalities in labour market prospects between the low-and-medium and the highly skilled. They have substantially intensified after the Great Recession and will likely gain on importance as a result of the current COVID-19 pandemics. They are also likely to affect fertility as they vastly change the ways we work, affect the conditions of earing income and combining paid work and care and induce new challenges and risks on employees.
The project will be conducted at the Interdisciplinary Centre of Labour Market and Family Dynamics (LABFAM). LABFAM is a new research centre established at the Faculty of Economic Sciences at the University of Warsaw thanks to the financial support of the National Agency for Academic Exchange (NAWA). It aims at investigating interdependencies between the labour market and family dynamics from an interdisciplinary perspective, paying special attention to family formation and dissolution, fertility, gender equality and family well-being in a comparative cross-national perspective.
- Master degree in Economics, Demography, Sociology, Political Science, Quantitative Methods / Applied Statistics or similar, preferably with a focus on the labour market and/or family
- Interest in applying for a PhD programme or already enrolled in such a programme
- Willingness to prepare a PhD thesis on the topics covered by the project
- Research interests related to the project
- Excellent analytical skills
- Excellent communication skills
- Fluent English
The knowledge of Polish is not required.
The competition is open to persons who meet the requirements set in forth in the Act on Higher Education of July 20, 2018 (consolidated text: Journal of Laws 2020, item 85, as amended).
Description of the job:
The successful candidate will be responsible for:
- Preparation of work and family histories
- Preparation of contextual indicators and measures of the exposure to globalisation and digitalisation
- Data modelling and analysis
- Preparation of academic articles / PhD thesis within the project on the effects of partners’ labour market situation on their fertility
- Dissemination of project findings
- Participation in various LABFAM research activities and events (e.g. organisation of seminars and conferences)
Full-time employment for 3 years, subject to an evaluation procedure after the first 6 months. There is a possibility to prolong the contract till max 30.09.2025.
Monthly remuneration depending on qualifications: 7 000 – 8 000 PLN gross + the 13th salary
The position is available since 1.10.2020 and should be filled as soon as possible.
List of required documents:
- CV including scientific accomplishments and list of publications (if applicable), information about awards, scholarships and research projects;
- A motivation letter describing research interests of the candidate and motivating candidate’s interest in the position. The motivation letter should also explain how the candidate meets the requirements of the call (up to 3 pages)
- A recommendation letter
- A copy of the master thesis or another research paper written by the candidate, at best in English
- Signed “Information on personal data processing” and “Statement” (please see below)
The documents should be prepared in English and submitted by email to: labfam [at] wne.uw.edu.pl