Junior Professional Officer Program (Berlin)
- Position Title: JPO, Humanitarian Development & Peace Nexus Office
- Organization: IOM (International Organization for Migration)
- Sector/ Unit: Global Migration Data Analysis Centre (GMDAC)
- Duty Station: Berlin, Germany
- Reports directly to: Project Manager (ME&CC)
- Duration: 2 years with possibility of extension for another year. The extension of appointment is subject to yearly review concerning priorities, availability of funds, and satisfactory performance.
Please note that for participants of the JPO-Programme two years work experience are mandatory! Relevant work experience can be counted. In order to assess the eligibility of the candidates, we review the relevant experience acquired after obtaining the first university degree (usually bachelor’s degree).
Organizational Context and Scope
The main focus of the IOM JPO programme is achieving IOM’s Global mandate on Migration which includes emphasis on the Global Compact on Migration (GCM), IOM’s leading role in the Migration Network and the migration related activities of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDG’s.)
IOM’s Global Migration Data Analysis Centre (GMDAC) based in Berlin, Germany, is leading Core Working Group 1.2 on Establishing a Knowledge Platform and Connection Hub (KP & CH) as part of the Capacity-building Mechanism of the GCM. To build up a comprehensive knowledge base, the Data and Knowledge Officer will support the working group lead in collecting and preparing content for both the Knowledge Platform and Connection Hub, in close coordination with other colleagues of IOM’s International Cooperation and Partnerships (ICP) Department, working group members, the Network Secretariat and other stakeholders.
Coaching and Learning Elements
As an integral part of the IOM assignment the Junior Professional Officer will:
- Gain experience in an International Organization, including management and international cooperation activities linked to the GCM, inter-agency cooperation as well as understanding the dynamics of regional and international initiatives and working groups.
- Gain experience in data and information management in the context of a dynamic international organization.
- Learn to work with offices around the world in the times of COVID 19 on issues involving knowledge management and data on a variety of themes.
- Participate in the development of virtual programmes, projects, trainings and workshops related to different migration areas for partners worldwide.
- Gain experience in working with governmental, non-governmental and United Nations institutions globally, regionally and at national and local levels.
Responsibilities and Accountabilities
The Junior Professional Officer will be provided with regular feedback on their performance and progress, with special attention granted to goal setting and overcoming challenges.
Under the guidance and supervision of the Project manager, the Junior Professional Officer’s duties and responsibilities will include:
- Support knowledge management for the Knowledge Platform and Connection Hub, by backstopping the curation, collection and upload of content by different actors on different migration themes and GCM objectives globally, regionally, nationally and locally, with a view to support the full functioning of the Knowledge Platform and Connection Hub for the International Migration Review Forum in 2022
- Reach out to countries in different regions of the world to include their practices in the Knowledge Platform, and foster peer-to-peer learning via the digital formats offered by the Connection Hub;
- Support close coordination with the Secretariat of the UN Network on Migration which manages content upload of the existing Network website where the Knowledge Platform and Connection Hub will be hosted;
- Assist with the management and update of the roster of experts for peer review of content and backstopping their work in relation to the KP and CH;
- Support the creation of and facilitation of new discussion fora and communities of practice of the Connection Hub;
- Assist in coordinating the work of Core Working Group 1.2 on the KP and CH, including organization of meetings, updates, note-taking and ensuring follow-up of action points;
- Help to prepare webinars and other presentations on the KP and CH;
- Perform other relevant duties as assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- Education: Master’s degree in Migration, Social Sciences, Economics, Demography, or a related field from a university / an accredited academic institution with two years of relevant professional experience.
- Minimum of two to three years’ work experience on migration data collection and analysis and/or knowledge management on migration;
- Computer/software literate, preferably knowledgeable in Microsoft Office, Adobe Acrobat and Photoshop with experience of maintaining a website, knowledge platform or the like;
- Experience of working in a multi-cultural setting. Advanced English writing, communication and negotiation skills;
- Ability to collect and analyze data and information on different migration topics;
- Computer/software literate, preferably knowledgeable in Microsoft Office, Adobe Acrobat and Photoshop with experience of maintaining a website;
- Experience with Drupal web development software an advantage.
- Languages: For this position, fluency in English is required (oral and written). Working knowledge in French, Spanish, Arabic, Chinese, and/or Russian is an advantage.