We are seeking to fill a position of the Assistant Professor (full-time, fixed-term, research employee) within the ERC Consolidator Grant “Globalization- and Technology-Driven Labour Market Change and Fertility” (PI: Anna Matysiak) which is realised at the Interdisciplinary Centre of Labour Market and Family Dynamics (LABFAM) at the University of Warsaw.
The ERC Consolidator Grant „Globalisation- and Technology-Driven Labour Market Change and Fertility” aims at investigating fertility consequences of the unprecedented changes which have been taking place in the labour markets over the last two to three decades. These changes are largely driven by globalisation and technological change and are manifested in the rising demand for skills, massive displacement of workers due to automation, spread of new, more flexible but also more fragmented work arrangements (such as telework, on-call work, sub-contracting, crowdworking), increasing work demands and growing inequalities in labour market prospects between the low-and-medium and the highly skilled. They have substantially intensified after the Great Recession and will likely gain on importance as a result of the current COVID-19 pandemics. They are also likely to affect fertility as they vastly change the ways we work, affect the conditions of earing income and combining paid work and care and induce new challenges and risks on employees.
The project will be conducted at the Interdisciplinary Centre of Labour Market and Family Dynamics (LABFAM). LABFAM is a new research centre established at the Faculty of Economic Sciences at the University of Warsaw thanks to the financial support of the National Agency for Academic Exchange (NAWA). It aims at investigating interdependencies between the labour market and family dynamics from an interdisciplinary perspective, paying special attention to family formation and dissolution, fertility, gender equality and family well-being in a comparative cross-national perspective.
- PhD in the field of Economics, Demography, Family Sociology, Political Science, Quantitative Methods or similar, preferably with a focus on the labour market and/or family
- Experience in quantitative empirical research on families, labour market, social inequalities (incl. gender inequalities), policies confirmed by publications in peer-reviewed international journals ranked in JCR.
- Interest in the topics covered by the call, excellent knowledge of theories and empirical literature in the field of labour market studies and/or family research
- Excellent command of modern techniques of statistical data analysis, excellent analytical skills.
- Experience in working with large datasets.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Fluent English.
The knowledge of Polish is not required.
The competition is open to persons who meet the requirements set in forth in the Act on Higher Education of July 20, 2018 (consolidated text: Journal of Laws 2020, item 85, as amended)
Description of the job:
The successful candidate will be responsible for:
- Working with longitudinal data from various countries: preparing work and family histories for numerous countries in a harmonised way and modelling the effects of partners’ labour market situation on their fertility,
- Measuring workers’ exposure to globalisation and technological change
- Preparing academic articles
- Disseminating project results
- Participating in various LABFAM research activities and events (e.g. seminars and conferences), collaborating with LABFAM researchers.
Full-time employment until 30.09.2025, subject to an evaluation procedure after the first 6 months.
Monthly remuneration depending on qualifications: 10 000 – 13 500 PLN gross + the 13th salary
The position is available since 1.10.2020 and should be filled as soon as possible.
List of required documents:
- Scientific CV including employment history, scientific accomplishments, information about awards, scholarships, research projects and a complete list of publications
- Motivation letter describing previous research and research interests of the candidate and motivating candidate’s interest in the position. The motivation letter should also explain how the candidate meets the requirements of the call (up to 5 pages)
- A copy of two selected publications
- A recommendation letter
- Signed “Information on personal data processing” and “Statement” (please see below)
The documents should be prepared in English and submitted by email to: labfam [at] wne.uw.edu.pl