Professorship in the Sociology of Stratification and/or Social Mobility
Full professor or Associate professor in the sociology of stratification and/or social mobility
Expected start date in position : 2018-08-01
Contract length : 6 years, renewable
Activity rate: 100%
Three hours teaching a week of throughout the year (84 hours in total) in the areas of specialisation, according to study programme requirements. The post-holder will also supervise Master’s and PhD dissertations.
The post-holder will work 30% in collaboration with FORS (Swiss Centre of Expertise in the Social Sciences), namely through:
- Participation in international surveys, including the European Social Survey (ESS), Measures et Observation Sociologique des Attitudes en Suisse – International Social Survey Programme (MOSAICH-ISSP), the European Values Survey (EVS), the Survey of Health, Ageing and Retirement in Europe (SHARE)
- Involvement in the methodological programme (e.g. data quality in surveys, etc.)
- Contributing to the improvement of data collection tools and experimentation both in face-to-face surveys and alternative data collection (online) or mixed methods
- Promoting the analysis of data collected or distributed by FORS
The post-holder will work 20% in collaboration with the PRN LIVES team "Overcoming vulnerability: life course perspectives" (http://www.nccr-lives.ch/).
He/she will be expected to develop high-level international cooperations and to apply for external research funding, particularly from the Swiss National Science Foundation (SNSF).
Administrative responsibilities (25%)
In the framework of the collaboration with FORS, the post-holder will:
- Participate in defining strategic decisions for FORS (Council and Board meetings)
- Enhance and develop the relationship between FORS and the University of Lausanne (Executive committee SSP-FORS)
- Doctorate in social sciences or equivalent
- Extensive teaching experience in the above-mentioned areas of specialisation
- Proven record of high-level research and publications on stratification and/or social mobility
- Proven record of expertise in quantitative methods and international social science surveys
- The post-holder will participate in strategic and methodological decisions for FORS (Swiss Centre of Expertise in the Social Sciences) (http://forscenter.ch/en/)
- The post-holder will collaborate with the LIVES research team (http://www.lives-nccr.ch/); and should therefore demonstrate on interest in issues of vulnerability and/or life course perspectives
- Strong international networks
What the position offers you
We offer a nice working place in a multicultural, diversified and dynamic academic environment, opportunities for professional training. A lot of activities and other benefits to discover.
Applications should include a cover letter, academic CV (including list of publications), copies of diplomas and qualifications, and a selection of five main publications, in PDF format, via the online recruitment platform.
Only applications submitted via the online system will be considered.