Professor/Chair or Associate Professor in Sociology
Sociology at Durham is widely known for our highly ranked programmes and the exceptional quality of our students’ academic work. As we embark on an ambitious programme of investment to expand our research capability, there has never been a more exciting moment to join us. As Professor/Chair or Associate Professor you will have a vital role to play in shaping a successful future for our research identity and themes. Ideally, you will bring research and teaching experience that relates to one of two established areas of research excellence: Higher Education and Social Inequalities, and Violence and Abuse. You will certainly demonstrate methodological skills that complement those of the existing staff group in mixed methods and/or enable us to develop additional strengths in quantitative methods. In return for your outstanding research and exceptional teaching, you will benefit from a wide range of support.
- A good first-degree, complemented by a PhD in Sociology, Criminology or a related subject.
- A track record of producing world-class research, including a research plan which supports and enhances the activities of the department.
- A proven ability to lead research groups and networks beyond institutional boundaries, and to mentor early career researchers.
- Experience of the successful recruitment and excellent supervision of PhD students.
- Ideas to develop successful research project proposals, with the scope to secure funding or generate income and potential to make a far-reaching impact.
- Experience of leading and delivering high-quality and distinctive teaching across lectures and smaller study groups, with HEA status.
- Confident leadership and communication skills, with the willingness to work collaboratively as part of a team.
How to apply
We value and promote an inclusive and diverse working environment at Durham and we welcome applications from all individuals.
We prefer to receive applications online. For this role we are working with our partner organisation TMP (UK) Limited and your application will initially be submitted to TMP (UK) Limited via our website.
Please carefully read the job description for this post which outlines the documents which you will be required to submit, information about referees, contact details should you require further information and next steps including an indication of when interviews will take place.