The following provides mandatory data concerning the provider of this Website, obligations with regard to data protection, as well as other important legal references involving the Website of the Max Planck Institute for Demographic Research (http://www.demogr.mpg.de) as required by German law.
The provider of this Internet site within the legal meaning of the term is the registered association Max Planck Society for the Advancement of Science e.V.
Max-Planck-Gesellschaft zur Förderung der Wissenschaften e.V.
TELEPHONE: +49 (0)89 2108-0
EMAIL: presse [at] gv.mpg.de
Register of Societies and Associations
The Max Planck Society is registered in the Official Register of Societies and Associations at Berlin-Charlottenburg Local Court under the register number VR 13378 B.
The Max Planck Society is legally represented by its Board of Directors which, in turn, is represented by the President of the Society, Prof. Dr. Martin Stratmann and by Secretary General Dr. Ludwig Kronthaler.
Value Added Tax Identification Number
The value added tax identification number of the Max Planck Society is DE 129517720.
The editor responsible for the contents of the website of the Max Planck Institute for Demographic Research with regard to media law is the Executive Director of the Max Planck Institute for Demographic Research (currently: Prof. Dr. Dr. Mikko Myrskylä, Konrad-Zuse-Str. 1, D-18057 Rostock).
EMAIL: info [at] demogr.mpg.de
To contact us, please click here.
Technically responsible (Webmaster)
Technically responsible for the website of the Max Planck Institute for Demographic Research:
Dirk Vieregg (webmaster [at] demogr.mpg.de)
The Max Planck Society is a non-profit research facility which is organized as a registered association. All of the institutes and facilities of the Max Planck Society are largely autonomous in terms of organization and research, but as a rule have no legal capacity of their own.
Foreign Language Pages
To the extent that parts of this website are offered in languages other than German, this represents a service exclusively for staff and guests of the Max Planck Society who are not proficient in German.
Data Collection and Processing
Also, the integration of external services such as Google Maps for route maps, Youtube or Amazon Cloud is always undertaken in a considerate manner and with the aim of making your visit on our websites as pleasant as possible.
We must advise you, however, that your IP address and perhaps other data related to your person will be transmitted to the service provider concerned (Google, Amazon etc.) and may be stored or analyzed there.
The data protection officer of the Max Planck Society is available for questions concerning the topic of data protection at dsb [at] gv.mpg.de or +49 89 2108-1554.
Your personal data will only be transmitted to government organizations and authorities in legally required cases and/or for prosecution in the event of attacks on our network infrastructure. Your personal data are not provided to third parties for any other purpose.
Liability for Contents of Online Information
As the provider of contents in accordance with Section 7 Paragraph 1 of the Tele-Media Law, the Max Planck Society shall be responsible for any contents which it makes available for use in accordance with general legal provisions. The Max Planck Society makes every effort to provide timely and accurate information on this Web site. Nevertheless, errors and inaccuracies cannot be completely ruled out. Therefore, the Max Planck Society does not assume any liability for the relevance, accuracy, completeness or quality of the information provided. The Max Planck Society shall not be liable for damage of a tangible or intangible nature caused directly or indirectly through the use or failure to use the information offered and/or through the use of faulty or incomplete information unless it is verifiably culpable of intent or gross negligence. The same shall apply to any downloadable software available free of charge. The Max Planck Society reserves the right to modify, supplement, or delete any or all of the information offered on its Internet site, or to temporarily or permanently cease publication thereof without prior and separate notification.
Links to Websites of Third Parties
This Internet site includes links to external pages. The respective provider shall be responsible for the contents of any linked external pages. In establishing the initial link, the Max Planck Society has reviewed the respective external content in order to determine whether such link entailed possible civil or criminal responsibility. However, a constant review of linked external pages is unreasonable without concrete reason to believe that a violation of the law may be involved. If the Max Planck Society determines such or it is pointed out by others that an external offer to which it is connected via a link entails civil or criminal responsibility, then the Max Planck Society will immediately eliminate any link to this offer. The Max Planck Society expressly dissociates itself from such contents.
The layout, graphics employed and any other contents on the Website of the Max Planck Society are protected by copyright law.
© Max-Planck-Gesellschaft zur Förderung der Wissenschaften e.V., München. All rights reserved.
Data Collection Declaration
For statistical data collection purposes, the we employ the web analytics tool Piwik. The following instructions and settings are relevant for all websites utilising our Piwik server. A notice to this effect is included in the imprint of the concerned website.
Options to Object
You have the following independent options to object to the collection of data by our Piwik server:
- Activate your browser’s Do-Not-Track setting. As long as this setting is active, our Piwik server will not store any data about you. Note: As a rule, the Do-Not-Track setting is only valid for the specific computer and the specific browser in which you activate this setting. Should you use more than one computer or browser, please make sure to activate the Do-Not-Track setting on all of them separately.
- You can also use our Opt-Out function. Therefore, please tick the box below to stop the collection of data or to activate it again. As long as the box is deactivated, our Piwik server will not store any data about you. Note: For the Opt-Out function we need to save a special recognition cookie to your browser. If you delete this cookie or use another computer / browser, please make sure to object to the collection of data again on this website.
Data Collected by Piwik
Insofar as you have not objected, the following data are being recorded by our Piwik server and included in the usage statistics.
- IP address, shortened for anonymity
- A cookie to distinguish different visitors
- The previously visited URL (referrer), insofar as it has been transmitted by your browser
- Name and version of your operating system
- Name, version and language settings of your browser
- URLs visited in this website
- Time stamps of visits
- Types of HTML requests
- Screen resolution and colour depth
- Technical processes and formats supported by your browser (e.g. cookies, Java, Flash, PDF, WindowsMedia, QuickTime, RealPlayer, Director, SilverLight, Google Gears)
Application log files
For technical reasons, our servers and applications save personal details upon your visit to our websites in their log files. However, these data are only used for the immediate provision of our services, for troubleshooting purposes or for attack prevention and will be deleted automatically after a short period of time.
The following data are saved temporarily:
- Your IP address
- Date and time of your website visit
- The address of the website visited
- The address of the previously visited website (referrer)
- Name and version of your browser / operating system (insofar as it has been transmitted by your browser)
- Your E-mail address (e.g. when using the contact form)